Belgian Shepherd Dog Association of Great Britain
Code of Ethics
All members of the Belgian Shepherd Dog Association of Great Britain undertake to abide by its general Code of Ethics.
1) Will properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange for appropriate veterinary attention if and when required.
2) Will agree without reservation that any veterinary surgeon performing an operation on any of their dogs which alters the natural conformation of the animal, may report such operation to the Kennel Club.
3) Will agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which may not conform to the Breed Standard should be placed in suitable homes.
4) Will abide by all aspects of the Animal Welfare Act.
5) Will not create demand for, nor supply, puppies that have been docked illegally.
6) Will agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could be in any way harmful to the dog or to the breed.
7) Will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause a nuisance to neighbours or those carrying out official duties.
8) Will ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars and will be kept leashed or under effective control when away from home.
9) Will clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere their dogs are being exhibited.
10) Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will help with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
11) Will supply written details of all dietary requirements and give guidance concerning responsible ownership when placing dogs in a new home.
12) Will ensure that all relevant Kennel Club documents are provided to the new owner when selling or transferring a dog, and will agree, in writing, to forward any relevant documents at the earliest opportunity, if not immediately available (Dogs rehomed via BSDA of GB Rescue excepted).
13) Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind. Will not sell by sale or auction Kennel Club registration certificates as stand alone items (not accompanying a dog).
14) Will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding the health or quality of a dog.
15) Members will attempt to help and befriend new Belgian Shepherd Dog owners.
16) Members will conduct themselves in such a way as not to bring discredit to the Breed or the Association and will demonstrate good sportsmanship at all times.
17) Members are recommended only to breed from dogs and bitches of sound temperament that have been BVA/KC hip scored and have a current (within 12 months) BVA/KC clear eye test certificate up to the age of 7 years.
18) Members will not knowingly breed from a dog or bitch which has a serious hereditary defect.
19) It is recommended if possible that all puppies are marked for life.
20) Members will not breed from bitches either before the age of 2 years or the 3rd season whichever is the earlier, nor will they breed from bitches on consecutive seasons if the seasons are less than 12 months apart. Exceptional circumstances accepted.
21) Stud dogs will not be used on bitches knowing that a point of the Code of Ethics would be broken.
22) The BSDA of GB Committee reserve the right to request an explanation from any member who fails to abide by the Code of Ethics. The Committee further reserves the right to refuse renewal of Membership in the absence of a satisfactory and reasonable explanation, and refuse entries to future shows and events organised by the Association.
Breach of these provisions may result in expulsion from club membership, and/or disciplinary action by the Kennel Club and/or reporting to the relevant authorities for legal action, as appropriate.